First attempt at hair (fail)

I used the Youtube tutorial here to try and produce a hair “card” mesh and textures with Blender but by using the Blender “curve” object type, with also a bevel curve and a taper curve to more easily produce curvy hair cards and then converted them to the standard “mesh” object type and then UV unwrapped them. However the result was not good enough yet. This is therefore a post about my learning experience. See the captions beneath each image below for a quick overview of what I did.

My result so far, after 1 day.
A single hair card “curve” object that I duplicated and placed (translate and rotated) all over the head to form the entire hair. Its curve resolution was set to 12 and its twist method was set to “Tangent”. Its bevel and taper objects were the objects shown in the next two images.
The bevel curve object used to give the hair card curve a curvy and wide width. Its curve resolution was set to 4.
The taper curve object that I used to gradually reduce (taper) the width of the hair card curve. Its resolution was set to 6.
The curves were converted to meshes and then I UV unwrapped them using the Follow Active Quads (Even) unwrapping method. I had to Reset the UVs first in order to get this rectangular UV island shape because I had first unwrapped them using other methods in my process of learning.
My opacity map was too dark. I think this is the first problem I need to fix to make the hair look more like real hair.
I made a master material that came from the Quixel’s Megascans free samples and added an Opacity map and changed the Blend Mode to Masked.
The result was very “stylised”. I am however seeking semi-realism or hyper-realism.
There is no blending of the hair line. The hair cards are clearly cards from all angles.
Close up of the side. The intersections are very easy to see which is undesirable for me.
If I reduce the opacity within the material instance it looks worse.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *